Applying for the TRANSCEND travel & research funds

**This page is written by Charlotte Nelson and supported by SLAC; edited by Celine Li for TRANSCEND**

TRANSCEND trainees may request up to $1000 for travel funds and $1000 research funds. The application can be found here: . We will notify you within a week after we receive your submission. Before starting the application, please make sure to visit the resources below and familiarize yourself with travel policies in UCONN. Please let your program coordinator know if you have any questions about the following items. 

Travel Award Guidelines for Booking Travel & Receiving Reimbursement




  1. Travel Reopening for detailed information on travel FAQs
  2. Federal Sponsored Travel FAQ.pdf.pdf
  3. UConn Travel Policy
  4. Open Skies Agreement
  5. Travel Ban to North Carolina and Mississippi 


  • Click here to complete the travel & research funds application form.
  • Please email your PC when the application form has been submitted.


    • Once it has been approved, and you are a current fellow (in your paid year of fellowship) then the Program Coordinator will be booking your travel.  To this end, please email with details of your travel arrangements including:
      • your full name as it appears on your id/passport
      • your date of birth
      • phone number
      • preferred travel days/times
      • preferred departure cities if flying
      • preferred airline and frequent flier # (if any)
      • For conference registration, the log in credentials so that the registration can be purchased with a Pro Card

If you are a GA and don’t have your own travel card, you will need to apply for one. Submit a travel request in Concur and book your own travel with Anthony Travel and then reconcile it in Concur.  See steps below.

If you have any questions about the process, please contact and they can assist you.

GA to do:

  1. GA can request a Travel card to cover their hotel and other allowable incidental expenses, or they can choose to use a personal card.
  2. Submit a travel request in Concur for approval
  3. After travel, GA will need to submit an expense report  (create one from the approved travel request), for the UConn Business expenses charged to their Travel card/personal card and any out-of-pocket expenses they are being reimbursed for.
  4. In order to receive per diem, all of the meals and incidental expenses need to be paid out of pocket.  If you use the travel card you will need receipts for all purchases and cannot receive partial per diem.
  5. Ensure you have a brochure, or conference badge that you can take a picture of or upload in your expense report when you submit it after the trip.
  6. When booking your flights and hotel contact: to book it for you-let them know the following information:
    • your full name as it appears on your id/passport
    • your date of birth
    • phone number
    • preferred travel days/times
    • preferred departure cities if flying
    • preferred airline and frequent flier # (if any)
    • KFS#(ask Program Coordinator for it)
Here are some useful links to help along the way:
Single Sign-On (SSO) Login | Concur is setup with SSO login access, allowing you to use your NETID and respective password to access the online tool.  Access Concur by clicking this link, or directly from the Travel Services page.
Concur Training Material | UConn specific Concur training material, such as: process/instructional documentation, FAQ’s (compiled from our various training sessions), Recorded Training Sessions, and e-learning modules – all can be found in the Training and Resources section of Travel Services page, or by clicking this link directly.
Travel Card Training & Request Form | To obtain a University Travel Card, a traveler must complete online Travel Card Training, achieving a score of 85% (or greater), print your certificate of completion, and then complete the Travel Card Request Form (attaching the Travel Card certificate) which will automatically route for approval.  More information relating to the UConn Travel Card can be found at, from the Travel Card section.    

The following training documents contains detailed instructions on Requests, Booking and Expensing travel in Concur.


 Reconciling and reimbursement of expenses:

  • Any expense incurred out of pocket by the student will need to be reimbursed through a Concur expense report where they will list their out of pocket expenses such as meals or ground transportation-if all meals and incidentals were paid for out of pocket then you can use per diem in concur to calculate reimbursement.  If even one meal was paid using the travel card, you cannot use per diem. Make sure that you have receipts and justification for each expense. 

BDL Parking:  BDL has suspended the parking pass service, so you can claim parking from any of the regular long term lots when you return